Re: RH 5.1

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> kdanner@eosinc.com said:
> > I knew I forgot something that was new in RedHat 5.1 . It ships with egcs.
> > Great compiler. If you have a pentium, PGCC is even better. Beats the hell
> > out of plain old GCC.
>
> I thought of that one this morning too.  You beat me to it.  :-)
>
> For those of you who aren't real up on compilers, one of the
> "problems" with gcc is that it doesn't optimize for anything higher
> than 486 (on x86).  Supposedly egcs optimizes for Pentium, K6, etc.
> It's also supposed to produce much better code on the alpha.
>
> BTW, egcs is just gcc with a lot of enhancements.  In theory, some of
> those enhancements might get folded back into the stock gcc tree
> eventually.  But don't hold your breath.  :-)

http://www.goof.com/pcg/
http://egcs.cygnus.com/

From what I understood, egcs is just a more optimizedcompiler, similar to
gcc - but it just more efficiently optimizes for 486 and lower (on intel).
The pgcc group patches egcs to optimize for pentiums.  At least, this is
the way I understood it.  According to the pgcc FAQ (again, in my
interpretation without doing signifigant research), egcs has a few
optimizations for pentium, but it's focus is on making a more efficient
gcc, while pgcc builds on egcs to apply those efficiencies to pentiums.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. :)

--Cloudmaster