Re: Questions as a result of my new distribution

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Erich Schroeder wrote:

> Hi,
>   As I mentioned to some folks last night, after hosing my system
> yesterday afternoon I installed the Caldera OpenLinux Lite distribution
> that I picked up at the InstallFest. I now have some questions from my
> new world:
>
>   1. As the stock kernel is noticablly slower than what I had before I am
> recompiling 2.1.98 (just to be "cool", well actually to see if I want to
> try this on the dual P-2 machine). I see, and have used, the bzImage
> target in the Makefile. What is "bz?"

This is sometimes necessary if you don't use modules and the kernel gets
too big. Use it if you need to, otherwise use zImage,zlilo,zdisk,etc.
Also I hope you read Documentation/Changes to see all the packages you
need to upgrade in order to run 2.1.x . The 2.1.x conversion went easy
enough for myself, I just had to play with nfsd a bit to get it working
right.

>   2. Last night Kara mentioned the "click to the right in xwindows"
> problem that she had. I have that now. What's up with that? How do I get
> rid of it?
>
>   3. I've grown to like the afterstep window manager as it came shipped
> with the redhat 5.0 server down the hall. How do I go about copying that
> setup to my machine?

What ships in RH 5.0 is FVWM that can appear to be somewhat like
Afterstep. It would be on RedHat's FTP obviously with all the rest of the
5.0 distro, the package should be AnotherLevel-0.5-2.i386.rpm . Of course
this will be a glibc rpm and AFAIK Caldera is still libc5, so you would
need to get the AnotherLevel-0.5-2.src.rpm and build your own libc rpm of
it. You can find the real afterstep in rpm form (plus tons of other stuff)
at ftp://speedier.redhat.com/pub/contrib/i386/  or for glibc systems at
ftp://speedier.redhat.com/pub/contrib/hurricane/i386/
I would expect this would fix the click to the right as well.

Kristofer D. Danner