So I tried POV myself

Hey all,
  I enjoyed looking at the POV benchmark page, so I decided to try it
myself on froinleven (my desktop machine, Intel Pentium 120, 32mb RH4.2
with 2.0.32 kernel more or less). The first time I ran the skyvase.pov
script it rendered in 2 min 17 sec. Running it the second time got me:

Time For Parse:    0 hours  0 minutes   1.0 seconds (1 seconds)
Time For Trace:    0 hours  1 minutes  30.0 seconds (90 seconds)
    Total Time:    0 hours  1 minutes  31.0 seconds (91 seconds)

Where is the difference from? I heard Steve or Jeff mentioning cache,
what cache? If I was doing this to render frames for an animation, I
suspect that the initial value would be the better estimate for total
time. Does that make sense? One thing, the "lucy" experience convinced me
that the cluster method would make sense if there was any chance of doing
real production.

Erich

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Associate Curator, Anthropology    FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      Internet: erich@museum.state.il.us
http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/staff/erich/erich.html